Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Christian Writing 101 - Step 1: Pray


This probably goes without saying (GWS) but writing a book is not an easy journey, and as a Christian, you will want to be in prayer about whether this is the calling God has given you, or whether it is a fun hobby or pipe-dream you've wished you could do.

Repeat: This is not easy. I wrote my first novel in 2008, and spent years editing, revising, getting critiqued, crying, rewriting, editing, shopping, and finally self-publishing some seven years later. And there are others I have spoken with who spent decades trying to get their manuscript published. I was not aggressive in seeking traditional publication, so your mileage may vary.

From the age of six I was writing little 2-page 'novels' for my Mom to Oooh and Aaah over. Still, life happens, and I didn't think seriously about writing until I was in midlife.

But what I wanted back then, and still do from time to time, is the recognition from others that I am a person of value. And God has something to say about that. He says in Rom 3:23 that All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. That means I stink, and if I sniff my armpit, I discover that this is true. On the other side of the coin, He values me infinitely, not because of what I am (I promise, I'm definitely NOT 'all that'), but because of who He is. Look at the price He paid. He loves me. Rom 5:8 tells me that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Not just 'gave me a cookie', not just 'gave me a house', but died. Even while I was stinky.

Where should my praise come from?
I'm already beloved by God, part of a chosen generation, a royal priesthood. I have my worth in Him. So I must determine through prayer whether this strong desire to write is a Calling, from Him, or whether it's because I need another attaboy. Because if I search for meaning and worth in what others say about me, in how many books I've written, it ends up being water poured into an empty cup with the bottom missing. It will never and can never satisfy. And Jesus gives His 'take' on doing things for the approval of others in His sermon on the Mount: Verily, I say unto you, they have their reward. Meaning, if you want the praise of men, if that's what you are longing for, then that's all you'll get. And I'm here to tell you, it's a hollow thing, and never satisfies.

So, is this a Calling?
This journey is hard. It has its rewards, but it's not worth doing if it's not done right, and it's not going to have meaning if it's not done for Him. Those that just want to do it for fun, probably wouldn't be reading this. And those doing it for recognition would likely quit when it gets hard. Or when nobody notices.

But if it is a calling, then you'll be driven to do this, and it will be for a higher purpose, and you'll be satisfied if only God ends up approving. Because in the final analysis, that's all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment